Saturday, August 02, 2008

Motivation for Fatcats and possibly for Fatcat Chumlies.

Top of Satdee morning to you. And I hope you're all having a fine bank holiday weekend. I am NOT hungover and I managed to eat a burger the size of my head yesterday evening after kickboxing. For those you you interested in doing the same BoBo's of Wexford street is the place to go. Nom Nom.

My week was good, and I am guilt free-ish.
Monday- nowt, needed a rest after Sunday's 12k hill run.

Tuesday, ran a steady 6k, then to the park to run 'strides' I did 6 of these up a hundred metre football field, jogging back slowly to the starting point after each one. Following Gimmie's (thank you) useful advice I ran them split at 25/50/25, easy run for 25, fast for 50 dropping back to an easy run for the last 25 metres. it was tough enough but I felt good, even if I did notice it in my legs for the 2k jog home. I tried to keep my form pretty loose too.


Wednesday- 15k, as rxd from crossfit. Damn, I wasn't prepared for that. Shins were wonky for the first 3k, better thereafter. Feeling the strides a little in the thigh muscles.

Thursday- gym, I had to walk there and back because the car's in the shop. So for the kick off we can put on 3 miles, lugging a gym bag.
Right, warm up of 1000m row, and then on to the cable cross,
set 1= 6.5k x10, set 2 was 7.5 x 10, feeling good I decided to go to the highest weight I've ever done on this and lo, set 3 was 10k x8 (2)
Huzzah!
Off then to do a circuit of pullups (50 in total, grav at 20k for first 2 sets at 15 for last three set) Knees to chest (50, hate this, it actually wrecks my elbows) 15 kilo db swing done in 9/12/15 x4 ( there are no kettle bells in my gym so I have subbed using the DBs), air squats (50). Everything with the exception of the DB swings was broken into sets of 10 and continuous, no stopping.
This might not read like much but I nearly puked at the end of it and my heart was trying to leap clean out of my chest. I finished off hanging from the pull up bars, just letting my bodyweight stretch me straight, trying to stop my shoulder from having a spasm. It was tough but very very bloody good. Me likey actually. Cooled down with a stretching session that I had to cut short as my arms were trembling so badly I couldn't even hold my self up for downwards facing dog.

Friday!! - Kickboxing, lot of cardio and painful stuff, like squatting on a wobble board while holding a 10k medicine ball away from my chest. Very good for the core and stability, but ouch. You should see the spectacular bruising beginning to form on my lower shins from belting the crap out of the heavy bag. Good work, but my technique for side kicks leaves a lot to be desired, left side kicks all the moreso. I'm going to spend some time practicing those this week. Also I need to learn to shut the fuck up when my instructor asks me how I'm feeling. It has just dawned on me now that I keep saying 'fine' and he keeps upping the tempo. I obviously need to say 'oh christ I'm wiped, you're killing me here'. I am Melvin's screaming wally.

Today, nowt, I'm all squatted/punched/lifted out, my legs are jelly and my limbs and torso are complaining. I need a rest.

Tomorrow however I have a 25k run mapped out. It's pretty flat and hopefully the weather won't be terrible. I'm way ahead of last year's training in terms of running long distance, I think it was late September or early October before I'd managed 30k, this year I think I can pull it off this month-assuming I stay injury free- in August. I surprised to say I'm even looking forward to it.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy moly, you had a week.
I finished teaching my summer class yesterday, woo hoo! Also have been visiting the chiropractor for a few weeks to sort out my stupid awful back, so I should be back on the road as soon as I can wrap my brain around running in 85 (30)-degree temps. Having started running outdoors over the winter, running in 60-degree temps nearly killed me the first time out. But there's another 10k in September...what must be done must be done.
WIth that said, this week I got more action in than usual: 35 rather than 15 miles biking, and two days of physical therapy that left me with sore glutes and obliques.
After laying off running since late May, I was surprised to step on the scale and see the needle hadn't budged since then. Thank sweet Jesus for having to get around on a bike.

1:05 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

It's certainly much tougher for running. Not that we get the sore in temperatures you get, Grims, but even at 25/26 degrees here it put a body under more strain.

1:20 p.m.  
Blogger Megan McGurk said...

I have nasty bruises all over my legs and arms but it's from the pups and not a good workout.

3:00 p.m.  
Blogger Andraste said...

Mediocre week for me. Back on the schedule of Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday workouts, but couldn't get up in time for more than 20 minutes cardio each day. But after the cardio I did this:

Tuesday, 30 lunges with weights and 15 sit ups.
Wednesday, 20 squats and various leg lifts and donkey kicks.
Thursday, tricep and bicep curls and lunges with weights, then some butt crunches.

Today I will mow the lawn with our old fashioned no engine lawnmower, and do various chores, which I think will have to cover me workout wise. Tomorrow I will have time for MUCH more cardio and a yoga stretch routine, and then maybe some other leg lifty, lungy, squatty, weighty stuff.

Enjoy your run tomorrow - I think I need to buy a treadmill so I can start running - it really IS the best bang for your buck exercise wise, but I just can't run outdoors because of the impact on the old knees.

The knee is the perfect argument against 'intelligent design.' Any engineer that came up with a shitty hinge like that would be laughed at and sacked!

3:24 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

You really do, Andraste, as an exercise it's hard to beat, and like I said to you the other day, it's the running that keeps my weight down.
But make sure you get proper runners if you do take up running. Get your feet checked out, your pronation and so on, it will really help with your knees.

Medbh, they must have you run ragged, I'll bet you don't even realise how much activity you engage in daily.

4:14 p.m.  
Blogger Lou said...

Boy am I glad I logged in and read this. I was thinking of slacking off the gym today but now I shall go!
I'm getting back into training, I'm doing to spin during lunch four times a week, two big gym sessions on the weekend which include an hour on the cross-trainer, and a load of weights and squats and stuff.
Going home in three weeks, got a fab new all saints dress that *almost* fits - there's motivation!

11:53 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Train hard Lou! You'll rock the shit out of that dress. Right, time shortly to hit the road.

12:09 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

25 kilometres later, on wet, damp and pink hued Fatcat fallumped into her chair and raised a weary 'yippie'. I need new runners though.

3:17 p.m.  
Blogger John Mc said...

That was some week FMC.

Monday - Indoor bike training 1.5 hrs. Simulated a time trial.

Wednesday - 3400 metre swim

Saturday - rode the Marin Century. My first 100 mile ride, (actually 105 miles). Spectacular scenery. First 25 was easy enough, we had a pace line that flew. The second 25 was very hilly and the temperatures were rising. The 3rd 25 started with an absolute bitch of a climb, and the temperatures got into the 90's. Last 25 I revived quite a bit, and the last 4 miles I put the boot down and kept up a 27 mile and hour pace. 12 hrs of sleep later and I'm still a little bollixed.

4:27 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

105 miles! I should say so John, sounds like you flew it though, well done.

4:42 p.m.  
Blogger daisy mae said...

awesome on the century, john!

as for me, quite the crap-tastic week. i made it out for a short 1.5 mile run on tuesday, and that was it. long story short, the boss lady has had me working from 9am until midnite - which makes for no time to work out. but i may be switching labs (for a variety of reasons, the least of which is long hours) which should hopefully allow me some modicum of a life outside of school.

8:14 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

You need a life Daisy Mae, it should be work to live, not live to work.

10:35 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pay a visit day-to-day a few sites and websites to read articles, however
this blog gives feature based content.

Feel free to surf to my page; diets that work fast for women

10:36 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home