Friday, January 25, 2008

Brownie Points for hate?

Some people are so fucking heartless that they can take your breath away. From today's Times.

"A drunk-driver who killed a cyclist has been sentenced to ten years in prison in the US, after the judge heard a recorded jail conversation in which she laughed about "taking out a tree hugger, a bicyclist, a Frenchman and a gay guy all in one shot."

Melissa Arrington, 27, a barmaid and exotic dancer from Tucson, Arizona, could have received as few as four years behind bars after she killed cyclist Paul L'Ecuyer while driving under the influence on the night of December 1, 2006.

Instead, she was sentenced to 10 years - one year shy of the maximum prison term for negligent homicide - after the judge heard a telephone conversation between her and a male friend one week after L'Ecuyer was killed.

During the conversation, the man told Arrington that an acquaintance believed she should get a medal and a parade because she had “taken out a tree hugger, a bicyclist, a Frenchman and a gay guy all in one shot.”

Arrington laughed. When the man said he knew it was a terrible thing to say, she responded, “No, it’s not.”

Superior Court Judge Michael Cruikshank said the conversation was "breathtaking in its inhumanity."

Mr L’Ecuyer, 45, a Tucson-born counsellor and human rights worker.

A keen athlete, Mr L'Ecuyer had been riding his bike on a five-foot wide bicycle lane, when Arrington swerved off the road, hit him and continued another 800ft before stopping."

It's truly amazing how cockroaches always manage to survive disasters.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I expect by now the victim's family have heard the tape. They must be sick to their stomachs. It makes a horrible tragedy that extra bit barbed.

4:47 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I doubt she will laugh anymore by the time she's served her first year and knows there are another 9 to come.
What a horrible person.

5:00 p.m.  
Blogger Megan McGurk said...

The judge was right to hand down the decade sentence to that extremely callous and unrepentant hag.

This is why my stomach clenches up every time Mr.M goes off on his bike.

5:39 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

She's a dingleberry.

7:03 p.m.  
Blogger John Mc said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:02 p.m.  
Blogger John Mc said...

You have no idea how bullet spittingly angry this makes me. Delighted the bitch got 10 years. 20 would have been better.
I have biked for years as well as working as a bike courier at one stage, and there are some nasty people out there. I had someone threaten to shoot me once, AFTER he blew a stop sign and missed me by inches. I did leave a nice dent in his car, and given the baby seat in the back, the 20 or 30 people watching, I figured he really didn't have a gun. Another time I got into a shoving match with a prick who nearly killed me when I was going 40 mph downhill. There was a red light at the bottom of the hill, and I let him know my opinions when I pulled out of the car. Fat fuck got out of the car and shoved me first, he was also first lying on the ground ;)

A taxi driver took a hammer to one of my friends once. Luckily a passerby caught it all on video and my friend prosecuted the driver and won. Driver lost his job.

Trust me I am a very mellow person unless someone deliberately puts my life in danger.

8:07 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Actually I think I might have a fair idea. I used to cycle to collage and back in my younger years and the amount of utterly mindless bastards there were on the roads terrified and enraged me in equal measure- and this was before there were cycle lanes.
When I initially read it this morning I thought of you, becaue I know you cycle to work and it's a long way, then I thought of Finn and how often she's had a near miss on the roads, then Gimmie, then I had to stop thinking about it with real known people.
II just don't get how anyone can kill someone and then laugh, like it's all some amusing jokes, like that poor man had no value whatsoever. Unbelievable.

9:11 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once while cycling home from work through Donnybrook a Kamakazi Pedestrian almost killed me, I was heading southbound, on the same side of the road as she was (she was on the path)she looked the OPPOSITE direction and then walked directly out on front of me, I obviously smacked into her ramming my legs into the bike, I hit her that hard that my shoes came off the silly beeatch, (who looks the wrong way while walking across a busy road-where, might I add, there is a pedestrian crossing about 20 feet down the road-grrr!) anyway I came off way worse, she was standing up and back on the path, I was lying face down, no shoes, a bent bike under me and then all of a sudden this man runs across the road and throws me and my bike up on the path before a giant Volvo SUV milled into me, I don't know who that guy who threw me was but I will be forever thankful to him for risking his own life to save mine, I gave the girl a right bollicking, I was red faced and still roaring at her 10 minutes later, she was looking through me. I wanted to smack her one, but was directly across from the Garda station so didnt. What a dickhead. I've also been lightly hit by a few taxis and also ran into a freshly opened car door once, people don't use their wing mirrors. Grrr! That woman decerves to be ran over a few times herself.

12:56 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Jesus, you were lucky you weren't killed. What an idiot that woman was, you'd think she's be kissing your arse and apologising profusely. Was your bike a complete write -off?
I nearly killed myself once, by cycling into a pothole and going straight over the handlebars and I was also hit by a squad car. A BLOODY squad car. But they did say sorry.

8:30 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the first article that actually makes clear that her friend was the one who said that, not her. All other stories make it appear as though it was her that said it.

3:42 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home