Thursday, August 09, 2007

Richard Dawkins takes on the real frauds!

Golly I haven't been this excited since, well, whenever the last time I was excited about something.

The God Delusion was an interesting read up to a point, but then that point got obliterated by Dawkins' 'I am so smart, s.m.r.t, I mean s.m.a.r.t.' act. But nonetheless, kudos to the man for not sitting on the fence and having the balls to take on the 'there is a god cause I say so' crowd. ("Oh you I say there isn't you say there is, let's call the whole thing off....la la de la.')
But gadzooks! chumie warners, he is about to embark on a new series for the telly, it's called. The enemies of Reason and it start on C4 on August 13th. In it Dawkins will level his Sauran's eye on...MUMBO JUMBO! Woo hoo, everything from tarot cards to all the new agey bollocks I hate so very much.
Oh joy, oh glee, oh if only it was me. We hates them precious, don't we piggy? Hates them with all our liver. I despise them frauds more than is natural and take great pleasure in fleering and snorting and rejecting with every beat of my heart with ever swoosh of my pancreas, with whatever my appendix actually does. Hates them! As Melvin says, 'I'm using the word hate here.'
Well since it's not me and a blunderbuss, I'm super glad it's Dawkins and his brain. No better man to bestir the crackpots and call them out on their nonsense. Reiki,-spit-spit-, homeopathy, mediums, witches and warlocks...actually I made up the last two but you know there are people who watched too much charmed and are convinced they've got 'powaaars.'
There was a wonderful excerpt in the Time about when Dawkins consults a medium- who is appears on TV and charge 50 pounds (sterling!) for instant phone readings. She told him she could see his father on' the other side' and that Dawkins' father was 'right behind him'. After blathering woo for a few minutes she ask Dawkins why he desn't have his father's photo out, only to learn that Dawkins' father is alive and well and visits with Dawkins every week.
The medium's reply? 'I don't feel it's working.' And my personal favourite gem, 'as a clairvoyant you're only as good as the client'. That's right honey, if you can't cold read them you're basically fucked.
Oh and it's a beautiful sunny day in Ireland, blue blue skies, warm, birds singing. It's a sign I tell you, some karmic sign, Dawkins, woo and sun...I believe! I BELIEVE! I believe I will have a glorious day.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got half way through The God Delusion and then stopped to read The God Delusion HP 7 . I then started on The Tunderbolt KID by Bill I'm very funny when traveling but not as a Kid Bryson.
Which I have set aside to start Dead of Night which is actually good.
Anwya I must finish God Delusion and then I can tackle the Heirs of Mohamad which basically proves that Islam split because of feudal families and Jealousy.

9:54 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

I must say, I like Bryson when he's travelling about to, read his 'A short history of everything ' when you get a chance, it's velly good.

9:58 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

ad an 'o' take out a 'l', I'm having that sort of typing day.

9:59 a.m.  
Blogger Cycles Goff said...

Sounds bleedin' deadly, Fmc. If it can hook a couple of Big Brother viewers it might even make a difference.
Come to think of it, Dawkins would make a good housemate. 'I'm going to nominate Richard because he keeps challenging my belief system. The fucker.'

12:02 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

I know gimmie, I can't wait. I"ve even stuck a sticker on the TV-lest I forget.

12:17 p.m.  
Blogger James McInerney said...

I do the odd rant about evolution on my own blog. Dawkins is absolutely right on most things, however, some years ago on an evolution group mailing list (before when the interweb got to be good we had mailing lists) he got a bit pissed and started ranting about how Irish people couldn't be objective about evolution because of our ingrained religious views. He apologised the next day.

Lately, Dawkins has started his own foundation, which seems eminently reasonable to me. Anyway, if you want to know what I think about it all you can find out here.

1:10 p.m.  
Blogger Megan McGurk said...

The one thing that all religions have in common is that dictate a subordinate position for women. Dawkins really dropped the ball on this in "The God Delusion" and then got really snotty about feminists analyzing language in order to recognize amn's gender privilege. The I thought fuck him. It also seems like the major religions cause more harm and fuck up way more people than the new agers.

2:51 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Maybe so, but I'm dead set against new agers too, nothing but first rate liars and charlatans who peddle their crap and fleece the gullible.
If religion was practiced privately and new age crap was practived privately I'd be all for it- or at least I"d tolerate it- but it's not, so I say expose them all for the myths they are.

3:08 p.m.  
Blogger Twenty Major said...

Fucking snake oil peddlers.

5:53 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

egggs-actly.

6:55 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home