Wednesday, November 29, 2006

That is not an abortion.

That is murder.
This story has by blood up this morning.
"A woman, pregnant and under huge financial pressure, told an inquest how she paid for an illegal abortion and gave birth to her full-term son in a field.

The Lithuanian woman (26) said the baby was not breathing and was blue, and that she held him in her arms for a long time.

An autopsy was unable to determine if the infant, of around 36 weeks gestation, had been born alive. The baby's remains were found in a disused farm shed at Ballybrittas, near Kildalkey, Co Meath, on May 2, by a builder who had taken shelter from heavy rain.
An appeal by gardai for the mother to come forward eventually led to the Lithuanian woman living in the nearby town of Athboy and working as a barmaid.
Recalling the day she drove out to Kildalkey, the woman, who has a child in national school said: "I held the baby in my arms. It was a boy. He was not breathing, his eyes were closed. I was crying as I held the baby. I touched his face, which was light blue. His nose was cold. I wiped his face clean with my shirt. I was looking at him and holding him for a long time. I was in pain. I don't remember what happened next."
The woman was present at the inquest in Navan last Thursday, accompanied by an interpreter.
Through her solicitor, she did not dispute the verdict of the inquest - that the baby had died "of undetermined causes, following a self-induced miscarriage". The jury had been dismissed by the coroner, John Lacy, before the case was heard.
The petite Lithuanian previously admitted to gardai she was in a desperate financial situation when she realised she was pregnant. Her partner - whom she refused to name - put pressure on her not to have the baby.
She was expected to send money home to her parents in Lithuania and then a brother arrived who could not find a job. She had to support him and was working in two jobs to make ends meet. Then her partner left. "Everything went into one - it all happened in a short space. I was in shock. If not, I would have kept the baby."

She asked around among her female friends to see if any of them knew how she could procure an abortion and was put in touch with a man who spoke Russian.

He visited her at her place of work early in January. The cost of the abortion medication was to be €500 to €800.
The woman said she had to sign "legal papers" promising she would never speak about the abortion to anybody, including her family, and absolving this person of all responsibility if things went wrong. Medication was duly provided and the next day she began to bleed.

Gardai said a file had been sent to the DPP, who declined to press charges.'

It's actually the last past of the story that pisses me off most. The DPP have declined to press charges. WTF?
I have sympathy for women who find themselves pregnant and alone, I really do. But this woman was 36 weeks pregnant. This woman would have felt her baby's ever move and kick, this woman could have easily waited a few more weeks and given bitrth to her son, and then, if she still didn't want to have him she could have given him up for adoption. She could have gone to any hospital and asked for help, maybe taking into account her alleged mental state they might have helped her deliver early. But she didn't, she spent nealy 1000 Euros (even though she was under 'huge financial pressure) on getting a late term abortion and then dumped the poor little thing in a barn.
That just makes me sick.
She should have been charged. I have seen cases where people are charged with murder of two when thery kill a pregnant woman. So should this woman be charged with killing her child. And so should the 'Russian' who provided her with the 'medicine'.
At 36 weeks, and yes it is that the age that bothers me most, that little boy had a chance and the one person he should have been able to rely on most took that chance away from him when she murdered him and abandonded his little corpse in a filthy shed. I don't think she should have gotten off scot free.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She should be aborted, the cunt.

11:07 a.m.  
Blogger Green Ink said...

If the DPP ever did get around to giving reasons for his actions it'd be along the lines of "because monkeys flew out of my butt".

11:53 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

That's another thing, I don't understand why the DPP is never held accountable for his actions. I would LOVE to hear his reasons for this, but I'm betting we never will.

12:07 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christ that's terrible. How fucked up are these people. Did you see this on the BBC today? Made me feel sick.

1:20 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Poor little thing. That's awful.

2:34 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesus, it must be a week for it. I read this story earlier.

As you say, why didn't she just have the baby when she was so near her due date? There would have been so shortage of people who'd have been happy to look after the poor thing. With infertility on the rise in Ireland and the number of children given up for adoption plummeting, the baby would have found a home no problem.

4:08 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Jesus, that's...right, no one is to send me anymore links to dead baby stories. It's most upsetting. I can never get my head around how anyone can harm something so defenseless.

5:58 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agree with all that. Strange decision to let her off and what sort of a signal does it send out to others.

11:48 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this woman. I do not agree with her actions at all but her circumstances were very extreme and were not touched upon in the above blog. She regrets deeply what she did but at the time was abused into making a very wrong decision in a bad mental state of mind. She had since had another baby and is a wonderful mother to both her children

6:12 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home