Saturday, June 10, 2006

Fie! Fie! batten the hatches, run for your very...


lives cats.
My sister, the eldest one, has just called me in a bit of a panic. I am to mind her chldren while she gets her hair done. The original babysitter-her delightful mother-in-law-has woken up ill and her delightful husband is away playing golf, Etheline is no where to be found-ooohhh she's so clever that one- and no one in their right mind would ask my mother at this late notice because they would never hear the end of it. My brother and his wife are also out because she claims she doesn't know Grace well enough to 'land the kids on her'.
So she's coming here with them.
I must jump in the shower now and plan my morning around my charges. Will 'Hide and no seek' be as successful this time round? And yes it's hide and 'no seek' The first one decided that's what it is called years ago and so that is what it remains.
What of the baby? Last time I had her the only game she liked was that I put something on my head let it fall off and then pretend I didn't know where it was and twirl about going 'What? What? I don't see it.' Where upon she would fling her head back and howl with laughter.
And then there is the boy.
He will immediately search out the cats-who will be huffled under the bed, yes huffled. He might catch the old one, but it's as if he senses that there is no sport in that,(he is right of course, a Lincoln Rhyme could catch the old one) no no, my nephew-the big game hunter- sets his sights on a higher prize, not the biggest of the cats- oh no, but the smallest one, the one-eyed nervous nelly, the one with the sickle like claws and needle point teeth, the one my vet likes to knock out before handling, yes that one.
Do I have time for another trip to the hospital for a tetenus shot? No, I bloody don't! Sponge Bob Squarepants, he will be my ally. But I shall put the hospital on speed dail none the less.
Let the games begin.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah the joys of babysitting, my son is used to the animals but other children can be far too enthusiastic, especially when it comes to the cat. I find the best way to avoid child/cat friction is to lock them in a room until their parents come to collect them.

6:20 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

I find the best thing to do it let them have at it. In today's case the cat won. Not because he scrabed my nephew to death, but becasue he found a hiding place on top of my wardrobe.
Golly Spongbob is terrific, I love Patrick and Mister Crabs and even Squidward, but not that whiney squirrel from Texas, she can go get stuffed.

7:23 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

spongebob rocks, did he get the cat?

11:34 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Spongebob is hilarious. And no cat were harmed. Bothered and bewildered sure, but not harmed.

9:31 a.m.  
Blogger KnackeredKaz said...

I need some lessons from Etheline.

My brother just asked me to mind my four-year-old niece in a couple of weeks time and I was so taken off guard I said yes.

He launched a 'shock and awe' campaign on me by asking my plans for my upcoming trip to Canada and infigling information from me about what my plans were leading up to take-off to which I stupidly replied 'oh nothing, I've a hospital appointment so I've taken some time off work, so I'm free as a bird that week, free as a BIRD!" whereupon he struck with 'great, so you can mind the monkey then, excellent!' all delighted with himself.

What could I say? Better stock up on the smarties so!

3:07 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Poor old sausage Kaz, I hope tiz not too terrible, I remember reading about your last baby sitting job, the one that drained the colour from Etheline's face.

6:24 p.m.  
Blogger Face said...

Here, get them to watch these instead. The same ones as before, I hope they work this time!

Funny Cats 1

Funny Cats 2

6:20 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

hahahahahaha, thanks Face. The first one is brilliant! And then I turned the volume up and scared the living daylights out of the small cat here, he's still stalking around looking for the source of that 'terrifying' sound. The dope.

8:34 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:57 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home